Tourist Rooming House
Pursuant to Section. 66.1014 (2) Wis. Stats the Village of Lake Delton is authorized to regulate the rental of residential dwellings. This authority allows the Village of Lake Delton to prohibit the rental of residential dwellings for a period of less than 7 days. As a result, the Village Board has enacted s. 35.06 Village Municipal Code which prohibits the rental of single-family and duplex homes in Residential Districts and the Waterfront Commercial District for periods of less than 7 days.
"Tourist rooming house" means any lodging place or tourist cabin or cottage where sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or transients. "Tourist rooming house" does not include:
- A private boarding or rooming house, ordinarily conducted as such, not accommodating tourists or transients.
- A hotel.
- Bed and breakfast establishments.
If not operated by a resident Owner, they must have a Property Manager or Resident Agent licensed under Chapter 35 (Must live within 30 Minutes of the Village of Lake Delton. Each Tourist Lodging Unit needs its own license and Room Tax Application).
Initial Application for Tourist Rooming House Permit
Please read Municipal Code 35 (PDF) (new as of 12/2020) for requirements for a Tourist Rooming House Permit. Also, see revisions for 2021 On the Municipal Code page; under "Ordinances Introduced-Pending Approval".
Conditional Use Permit. (if applicable).
Contact Sauk County Health who is contracted by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection.
See the Sauk County Health website for more information.
You will need to apply with Sauk County first, as you will need a pdf or jpg of your permit and inspection to be attached to our online application.
Sauk County Health Department Contact:
Environmental Health Manager
505 Broadway Suite 372
Baraboo, WI 53913
Apply for all Seller's Permit Numbers (State, County and Premier Resort) or Lodging Marketplace Room Tax Permit.
- Wisconsin Seller's Permit Application Form BTR-101 (PDF) (Please save a copy of the application as that is required to be submitted with the original online application).
Instructions for Part E Business Location Information:
Please check mark the two boxes shown above for the Premier Resort Area Tax.
Apply for the Village of Lake Delton Room Tax Number (visit the Room Tax page to apply) this will be sent in with your original tourist lodging application (please save a copy of the application as that is required to be submitted with the original online application) Note: If you are using a property management company this will be their information
Please also note: Lodging Marketplace. An entity that provides a platform through which an unaffiliated 3rd party offers to rent a short-term rental to an occupant and collects the consideration for the rental from the occupant. (Examples: VBRO / Airbnb)
All Lodging Marketplaces to be utilized, including contact information, unit identification used by the Lodging Marketplace to identify the tourist lodging unit, copies of the rental agreements, and proof that the Lodging Marketplace shall utilize the Village of Lake Delton as the taxing jurisdiction.
All tourist lodging shall be operated by the Owner or a Property Manager licensed, "operated" shall mean responsible for compliance with this Chapter 35, collection of rent, and payment of taxes.
If the Lodging Marketplace doesn't pay the Room Tax to the Village of Lake Delton you will be liable for that amount to the Village of Lake Delton.
Proof of Insurance showing coverage for rental of the unit. Casualty and Liability insurance issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state by the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, with liability limits of not less than three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000) per individual and aggregate. (Certificate of insurance).
Property Management Agreement if not managed by Owner. (Step 3 and Step 4 will be the Property Management Companies information)
Identification and qualifications of the Resident Agent. (See Resident Agent for Tourist Rooming House Application)
Site Plan including available onsite parking for the unit or rental house.
Detail floor plan of unit or rental house with measurement of each room, sleeping type (bed size/sofa sleeper)/location, and requested maximum occupancy which is two people per bedroom plus two. For example, a 2-bedroom unit would have a maximum occupancy of six.
Eligible properties may apply for additional expanded occupancy. See 35.15 a (5) New for 2021 Expanded Occupancy.
Submit the correct application. (All documents for attachment must be in pdf)
If applicable Certification from the owner or licenses that the property meets all the requirements of 35.15 Tourist Rooming House Regulations.
All applications for Tourist Rooming House licenses must be filed by August 1st of each subsequent year.
Every Tourist Rooming House operating license shall be for a period of one year commencing on October 1, or the date of issuance, and shall expire on September 30 of each year. Partial Term Licenses for less than 12 months shall not be entitled to apportionment of fees.
For those units with a fireplace please note: A Tourist Lodging Unit shall not have a wood or solid fuel burning stove or fireplace unless the Owner provides a certificate from a licensed commercial building inspector, fire inspector, or a verified statement from a reputable stove or fire place sales/installer entity, dated not more than thirty (30) days prior to submission, certifying that the fireplace and chimney have been inspected and are in compliance with National Fire Prevention Association Fire Code Chapter 211 Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances. Instructions for use of the stove or fireplace must be prominently displayed. A stove or fireplace not meeting the requirements of this section shall be blocked from access to the satisfaction of the Village Building Inspector. All stoves and fireplaces in multi-unit buildings must be blocked from access to the satisfaction of the Village Building Inspector.
Resident Agent Permit
Submit a Resident Agent Permit Application here. (online submission) This link will take you to HeyGov our new License Portal.
(Not required if property owner is residing in or within 30 minutes of the Village Lake Delton)
- All Tourist Rooming Houses operating under a Class A are required to appoint a Resident Agent as a local contact for the receipt of complaints, service of notice of violation of this Chapter's provisions and for service of process pursuant to this Chapter. Such a designation shall be made by the owner and shall accompany each application form. Said applicant shall immediately notify the Clerk of any change in residence or information regarding the Resident Agent.
- To qualify as a Resident Agent the person must meet the following requirements:
- Be a natural person residing in or within 30 minutes of the Village of Lake Delton; or a corporate entity with offices located within 30 minutes of the Village of Lake Delton.
- The applicant does not have pending any criminal charge and has not been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor of any offense involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, robbery, the use or threatened use of force or violence upon the person of another, or sexual immorality under Ch. 944, Wisconsin Statutes, as amended.
- The applicant is authorized by owner to accept service of process for all Village communications, citations and orders.
View the Room Tax page for more information.
Class B Permit
Any owner of a dwelling offering rentals for periods of 7 to 29 days requires a Class B permit. Class B Permits are for one year or the date of issuance and expire on September 30 of each year.
Submit a Class B Permit Tourist Rooming House Application here. (online submission) This link will take you to HeyGov our new License Portal.
Property Manager Permit
Submit Property Manger Application here. (online submission) This link will take you to HeyGov our new License Portal.
No person may act as a property manager for a Tourist Rooming House without a property manager permit issued in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter. The property manager license shall apply to all Tourist Rooming House for which the property manager has exclusive rights for the rental of the property. The property manager must certify to the Village that each Tourist Rooming House operating under the property manager license complies with the standards of this Chapter. Failure to operate a property in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter may result forfeiture actions and lead to the suspension or revocation of the Property Manager permit.
The Clerk shall issue a property manager license to all applicants following the approval of the application by the Village Board and the filing of all documents and records required under this Chapter.
- The resident agent must be authorized to allow Village employees, officers and their designees, to enter the owner's property for purposes of inspection and enforcement of this Chapter and/or the Village Municipal Code.
- Property Manager Qualifications. To qualify as a Property Manager the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- A natural person or a Wisconsin corporation, limited liability company or other legal entity with offices or employees located within 30 minutes of the village.
- Shall be managing Three or more Tourist Rooming Houses operating in the Village of Lake Delton and the City of Wisconsin Dells.
- Shall hold the following licenses and permits in its name:
- A Seller's Permit issued by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue;
- A Room Tax Permit issued by the Village of Lake Delton; and
- An employer identification number issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Except for owners managing their own properties, property managers shall have a written contract with the property owner authorizing management of the Tourist Rooming House.
- Property Manager can serve as Resident Agents.
- The applicant has not been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving dishonesty fraud, deceit, robbery, the use or threatened use of force or violence upon the person of another, or sexual immorality under Ch. 944, Wisconsin Statutes, as amended.
- Proof of Insurance
Class A - PM Unit Permit
Apply for a Class A - PM Unit Permit Application here. (online submission) This link will take you to HeyGov our new License Portal.
Any authorized property manager managing the rentals for less than seven days requires a Class A PM Permit. Class A - PM Permits include all the properties operating as tourist rooming houses for which the property manager has the exclusive right to advertise, rent, manage, and report to the Village.
You will need a pdf of your Permit from the State, State Inspection, and Certificate of Insurance (Commercial Liability) to complete this form online
35.15 a (5) New for 2021 Expanded Occupancy
Eligible properties may apply for additionally expanded occupancy. Eligible properties are single-family/duplex houses and condominiums under single ownership. Under no circumstances may the occupancy rate exceed the requirements of section ATCP 72.14 Wisconsin Administrative Code. In reviewing the application for expanded occupancy the following factors are considered:
- The zoning district of the property.
- The safety of the occupants.
- The property complies with the requirements of section 35.15
- The impact of the increased occupancy on traffic and neighboring properties.
- Such other factors as may be appropriate.
- Past experiences with the applicant and/or the property.
Please email us a report with the above information for consideration by the Housing and Property Management Committee for expanded occupancy exceeding two people per bedroom plus two. For example, a 2-bedroom unit would have a maximum occupancy of six.